Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Grapes of Wrath 26-End

First of all, the endinig of this book was not what I expected it to be. I expected it to be like every other book I've read, with a picture perfect ending and everyone happy. I wanted and expected it to be that Noah, Connie, and Casey to come back and they all are going to be a happy, rich family living in the white house with the fence that Ma wanted. Of course, I didn't get that. Which was really suprising to me.

My first blow was when Casey died. Well, at first I thought when we saw him at first, we were going to sort of steal him away and we were going to make our life work with him and no money. However, when he died, I had to put the book down. I wasn't sure if I wanted to finish reading after that. However,I knew I had to.

The next blow was when Ruthie told about Tom, and Ma came to let him go. I thought if worst comes to worst, I would always have Tom Joad in the end. That didn't happen either. By this time I knew that I wasn't going to get my fairytale ending.

The next, and I guess the very last thing that hurt me most was the stillborn baby. I thought that the baby would bring a new life for the Joads. A new, better life. The stillborn was like a blow to any type of hope the family had.

There was one biblical story I found.

Uncle John who sent the stillborn down the river reminded me of the story of Moses. He sent the stillborn down the makeshift "Nile River" to show the people what they did to the Okies and everyone else that had to move during the Dust Bowl. I think the stillborn baby represents the hope that was in Ma. For a good ammount of the book, Ma was woman living in a fairytale. I think that that stillborn baby knocked the hope out of her and the rest of the family. The white house was gone.

-I think that keeping up with the reading was hard. Mostly because, it was hard for me to get into the book, and by the time that happened, I was falling asleep while I was reading the good part. I think that if we had smaller chapters, because there were sometimes we only had like 2 or 3 days to read, it would be easier to keep up. And I think that we could have gotten a deeper meaning of the book. Overall, the ending wasn't what I expected, and I kind of liked it. I really can't explain how I feel about it anymore...

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you were really into the book since you were that upset when Casy died!

    Interesting discussion about how you thought it would have had a fairy-tale ending.

    Thanks for the feedback on the length of the reading assignments!

    ReplyDelete